Saturday, May 17, 2008

California Court makes progress for equal rights.




Well, it happened, and I was very happily surprised that a four to three decision reversed the ban on same sex marriage, opening the door for same sex couples to marry in the state of California, thirty days from the date of the ruling.


I have been of course discussing this decision on the internet and am rather shocked to see the same tired arguments against this basic human right, and when I say tired arguments, I am actually saying the same old religious opposition that some use to validate discrimination.


It really is not shocking that religion is the corner stone of the opposition, religion has been used throughout history to validate and justify evil doing for centuries, and before someone starts smacking their computer screen, no I am not referring to just the Christian religion, I am referring to any and all that use their beliefs and their religious teachings to stifle the basic rights that every human being should be entitled.


That is the issue, regarding this subject, it is equality. Equality in law, equality in protection under the law, so while some say to compare this ruling to other rulings regarding equality is fallacy, I of course disagree; just as I disagree that the other commonality in this rulings and those of the past, religion, or the twisting of religion was used as a spring board to justify the denying civil rights to those that are not in the majority.



When women wanted the vote, it was heresy, because by definition a woman was a second class citizen, and if married the property of her husband, her opinion regarding voting issues, was of course moot, as her husband would vote, and his vote as the head of the family would naturally speak for his spouse.



Numbers:


30:12 But if her husband hath utterly made them void on the day he heard them; then whatsoever proceeded out of her lips concerning her vows, or concerning the bond of her soul, shall not stand: her husband hath made them void; and the LORD shall forgive her.
30:13 Every vow, and every binding oath to afflict the soul, her husband may establish it, or her husband may make it void.



Inter-racial marriage was a crime, yes a crime that could make you subject to arrest, those that supported that the races should not 'breed' again took this from the Bible to justify the fighting this right of marriage:


Numbers:



25:6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
(25:6-9) And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;
25:8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.
25:9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.


So when it is said this issue is unlike the other issues that have been submitted to a vote, and then over turned by the courts, I submit, that since the same basic argument is offered in all these issues of civil rights, they are all branches that grow from the same tree.

I know some of you are thinking, that if in the start I stated not just Christian faith, but took examples only from the Bible, I am picking on Christians, this is not the case, however, in our country regarding these issue, it is the Christian faith that has opposed, far more so than any other religious sect, and perhaps just as importantly have had the membership and the power to use that particular faith as a political tool.


5 comments:

  1. I knew my favorite gay enabler would probably be addressing this issue.

    Here's the part that drives me nuts, I mean besides the part where I get treated like a second class citizen.

    Okay someone wants to oppose gay marriage on religous grounds fine, that's okay I have no problem with it. However, several faiths would cheerfully make me and my partner Jen honest women tomorrow, if they legally could. The Unitarian Universalist church I belong to would love to see me get married. So would the United Church of Christ, there are also several more christian demoniations that would willingly perform a marriage ceremony for a gay or lesbian couple. The religious argument purely and simply doesn't hold water. If several recognised denominations, are willing to perform the ceremony and would in fact rejoice in the opportunity to marry same sex couples, then we are in to a situation where one church is being favored over another, that is by any reasonable standard unconstitutional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janicelee,

    You are absolutely correct.

    I just love that title someone hung on me during a debate to 'upset' me.

    You want to see some really fireworks check out Topix message boards on this issue!

    http://www.topix.net/us/2008/05/calif-supreme-court-overturns-gay-marriage-ban/p174?threadid=REB2IF7K3DMN7QK5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entry on this Tracian.

    I am still in shock that anyone thinks they have the right to tell someone who they can and cannot marry.

    These are consenting adults that want to make a legal commit to each other. Why should they not be allowed? It is just insane. Why do my husband and I deserve the protection of a legal marriage, but someone else does not? Talk about civil right violations.

    I am just livid over the asinine posts I have seen on this subject. I think my head will explode if I see the argument of "sanctity of marriage" one more time. Yeah, like heterosexuals really have a deep respect for marriage. With over 50% of all marriages ending in divorce. Talk about hypocritical.

    Our entire family was crying and jumping around for joy at the news of this decision. Phone calls back and forth between the adult kids and us, it was wonderful.
    Yet, I fear it will not last. I fear that hate and ignorance will ruin this remarkable step forward. All I can say is I am so sorry to those that are denied their basic civil rights. My family and I stand hand and hand with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, i've tried writing this about 10 times. what i'm trying to say is that if someone gives me a marriage license they are insane. everyone else deserves the right to be as nuts as i am. both my dh & my ex (who lives across the street) will attest to the fact that i'm nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps, last anon is maryhaze but i'm an idiot & everything kept getting rejected.

    ReplyDelete