Saturday, April 26, 2008

Freedom of Religion


I have been doing a lot of thinking on the subject of religious freedom since the raid on the Polygamist sect in Texas.
Now, first let me be very clear, I do not support the abuse of children, or forced child brides; however it seems that the basics of the outrage is in regards to more than one woman being married to the same man.
There is also the misconception that only those that are called FLDS practice plural marriage. I think first we should define what exactly plural marriage is, and those different religions that do practice, even if not in a commune type setting.
There are Christian polygamists, as well as those that practice the Muslim faith, this of course is not to say all in either group embrace this practice, but the for some it is acceptable.
Now, the reason the raid is concerning to me, it seems that the main reason this group was targeted is because of the practice of plural marriage. I have come to this conclusion based of several other abused children cases that dealt with religious beliefs have not been handled in such a dramatic, far reaching way.
Dateline August 22, 2004
A young Amish girl listens while her brothers are sentenced for her repeated rapes.
This girl goes on to tell authorities about other abuses of young girls in the Amish community, seemingly mostly by their own male family members, yet, the Amish community was not raided, children where not taken in mass from their families while an investigation was under way.
Why is that? Is it because the general public considers the Amish a quaint people? Did the authorities not worry for the children that were left in a possible dangerous condition? Remember, in this case unlike the Texas case, a real witness was present, and a real conviction was handed down by the court, but no follow-up or investigation was done concerning the other young girls left in the Amish community.
The following link offers information about those for reasons of religion have allowed their children to die, by refusing medical care:
Yet, I have never heard of other members of these churches loosing their children even after the deaths of other children in this sect; even when other members with children were present when a child died after being refused medical care.
Okay, so I have pretty much offered my concerns regarding the treatment that FLDS is getting as opposed to the treatment other that use religion as shield to do harm to those members in their charge.
Now let's move on to the subject of Polygamy:
The first argument is normally, Polygamy is illegal.
Now, let's again think on that for a moment. Legally one can only be married to one person, simple enough, but the belief in polygamy is a religious practice, and the other wives, while not legally married to the husband, they, spiritually believe themselves to be married.
That seems to be the very basic of freedom of religion, the right to practice a religion, according to the calling you believe you have from your god.
I find the basic illegality of Polygamy to be rather ridiculous because, it is not illegal for a man to be married to a woman, and have sex with another woman, or father her children, or even to live in the same house with him and his wife, it only becomes illegal, theoretically, when they refer to themselves as married.
Now, before someone comments about under aged girls being forced to marry some old coot, that is not what I am referring to in this blog; likewise, those that choose to practice polygamy have a responsibility to support themselves and their wives, and children without abusing social programs, or tax fraud. However, if they do choose to defraud the government by doing so, what they should be charged with are those crimes, not because they believe that plural marriage is desired, or required by their god.
So back to the Texas raid. I do believe that the main reason it was done, and the support that CPS in Texas is getting stems from the distaste many have regarding plural marriage.
This is not to say they will not find proof of abuse, that very well could be the case, but one has to ponder why this case has been the 'media darling' for weeks when the other cases offered via links on this blog have been ignored, especially when you consider that these cases had the physical evidence of raped girls and dead children.
As far as the question of polygamy, even if you don't think it is right, should the government be able to make a law that stunts your ability to practice your faith? Especially, when you consider we do not arrest or put men in jail for fathering children with women other than his legal wife.
I ask those that read this blog to try and separate the horror stories regarding polygamy from the practice by some, and for those Christians, remember some of the greatest prophets of the Bible had not only multiple wives, but concubine as well.
I have to also say, no I am not a polygamist, my husband can hardly handle me, two would put him in an early grave.

2 comments:

  1. ITA Tracian!!!!!!!

    I do not want my government in the business of telling it's citizens who they can and cannot marry. It seems a little silly to want a government to rule our love lives. If all parties involved are of age and are consenting then what they do is none of my business, nor should it be the governments.
    I know that this is a part of this groups religion, but for me it is not a religious question more than a basic freedom question. Do I as an ADULT have the right to choose who and how many people I may marry? The answer should be yes, unfortunately that is not the case. IMO the laws about marriage in this country are based on religion. I find that strange since we tend to chant Separation of Church and State. I am still waiting on that separation.

    Tracian I love your blog. I have been waiting for you to put up something new. Thanks. Wheezer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a topic Tracian, you always come up with the best topics. Have to tell you, I've waited a couple of days to think about this one before posting. Largely because I'm a little conflicted. Goodness knows I have yelled at the top of my lungs about how I want the government to stay out of my bedroom, and that I and my partner Jen have every right to the same rights and protections as other married couples.

    Yet I have to admit polygamy makes me uncomfortable. I'm not entirely sure why. I suspect it may be because I don't generally see this working out well for the women. I also wonder that polygamy seems to mean in most instances one man with multiple wives, maybe I'd feel a little bit different if one of these religious groups promoting multiple spouses was saying okay ladies, you can have all the husbands you want. May if you had more then one you could get at least one of them to take out the trash. lol.

    I guess the bottom line is that I have to say it isn't any of my business how consenting adults, work out their living arrangements. I'd actually like to say different but I just can't make myself into that big of a hypocrite. As my faith tells me: As it harms ye none.....

    ReplyDelete